- On 25 January, 2022
- In Blogs
If you plan to visit the mountain of 7 colors and you still have not been able to organize your excursion to this wonderful mountain, let me help you because in this article you will find all the information you need before traveling to the mountain of colors.
1.- Best Time to hike to the Mountain of Colors
- 1 1.- Best Time to hike to the Mountain of Colors
- 2 2.- Altitude Sickness (Soroche)
- 3 3.- What can I do on the way to the Mountain of Colors
- 4 4.- Routes to the Mountain of 7 Colors
- 5 5.- Mountain of Colors by Agency or On Your Own
- 6 6.- Recommendations that you should take into account
Before organizing the tour, the first thing is to know the best season for the walk to the mountain of colors. Cusco, being part of the mountains, has two defined seasons, we are talking about the dry season and the rainy season, these two seasons we will describe below.
Dry Season.- This season is the most recommended to travel to the mountain of colors and starts from the month of April until the end of October. However, on some days there may be some sporadic precipitation due to some climatic changes.
Rainy Season.- This season starts from the month of November to March. At this time it is not recommended to climb the Vinicunca mountain because the rains are very intense accompanied by lightning and thunder which is very risky. Even so, many travelers dare to climb the mountain of colors.
2.- Altitude Sickness (Soroche)
Altitude sickness is one of the factors that must be taken into account because many are not used to walking at more than 5000 meters above sea level. The best dose to combat this evil is taking an infusion of coca leaves, commonly called coca tea. If you have an allergy to the coca leaf, you can buy pills for altitude sickness that you can find in pharmacies and apothecaries in Cusco.
3.- What can I do on the way to the Mountain of Colors
To climb the mountain of colors you must take into account your physical condition since the walk is demanding, however on the way you can make the stops you need. If it is no longer possible to walk, an alternative is to rent a horse and it will take you to a place very close to the mountain of colors.
4.- Routes to the Mountain of 7 Colors
To climb the Vinicunca mountain we must bear in mind that there are two routes that we will describe below:
1.- Route through Pitumarca.- This is the first route that the first travelers had to take to reach the mountain of colors. On the way the views are beautiful, however, this road is long and heavy.
2.- Route through Cusipata.- This is the new route and the shortest to reach the mountain of colors and which has been the most popular with all travelers and tourists.
5.- Mountain of Colors by Agency or On Your Own
Surely you have always wondered what is better to do a tour by agency or on your own. Well, each alternative has its advantages and disadvantages, it will depend on the budget you have.
If you have a tight budget, the best option would be to do it on your own. however, there are agencies that operate the mountain of colors at affordable prices.
6.- Recommendations that you should take into account
Getting to the mountain of colors is quite a challenge for those who want to visit it. Right away I will give you some tips to get to Vinicunca without any inconvenience.
- Chinstraps and/or face mask
- Respect the social distancing of 1 meter.
- Acclimatize the Organism in Cusco for at least 1 day.
- Rest early before the tour.
- Pack a small backpack the night before.
- Buy what you need in Cusco.
- Hat, sunscreen
- Bring mineral water.
- Plastic Poncho.
- Bring light clothes for the day and warm clothes for the night.
- Bring trekking poles or a cane.
- Extra money.
This tour is not recommended for:
- Not suitable for pregnant people.
- Not suitable for people with any physical illness.
- Not suitable for people with heart problems and hypertensive.
- Preferably older than 10 years.